The Department of Pediatrics is very active in the teaching of medical students from Queen’s and in offering elective opportunities to visiting students from other Canadian and US medical schools.
We teach pre-clerkship student the fundamentals skills in the Pediatrics and Genetics Course offered to first year medical students. We teach students how to approach, assess and examine children during portions of the Clinical Skills Courses in the first two years of the medicine curriculum. And, we teach students about the subspecialties of pediatrics and the pediatric application of their skills throughout the first two years of medical school in the systems-based Clinical Foundations Courses and Professional Foundations courses.
In the core Pediatric Clerkship Course, Queen’s medical students further develop their skills by working with clinical faculty and residents on the General Pediatric Inpatient Unit, in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, on the Normal Newborn Service, in the Child Development Centre and in the ambulatory pediatrics clinics at regional sites and community hospitals throughout Ontario. Students may also participate in their clerkship in regional sites such as Belleville, Ontario or in the Integrated Clerkship in Picton, Perth and Brockville, Ontario. Students consolidate their pediatric learning with exposure to advanced pediatric problems in the Clerkship Curriculum Courses.
The Department of Pediatrics is an active member of the Pediatric Undergraduate Program Directors of Canada (PUPDOC) and was involved in the development of the Canadian Undergraduate Curriculum in Paediatrics (CANUC-PAEDS).
- To learn more about undergraduate medicine at Queen’s visit: http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate
- Queen’s Medical Students wishing to learn more about the Pediatric Clerkship should visit: https://meds.queensu.ca/central/community/clerkshippaediatrics
- Queen’s Medical Students wishing to learn more about the Pediatrics and Genetics Course should visit: https://meds.queensu.ca/central/community/meds122
- Queen's Medical Students interested in Pediatrics Observerships should visit: https://meds.queensu.ca/central/community/pediatricsobserversh
- To learn more about PUPDOC and CANUC-PAEDS visit: http://www.pupdoc.ca/